The Center on Law and Security - Fall 2013 Events
September 16, 2013 – CLS hosted a book discussion with Thomas Rid, a Reader in the War Studies Department at Kings College, and author of Cyber War Will Not Take Place.
September 18, 2013 - CLS hosted a discussion titled “Guardian or Big Brother? The NSA Data Sweeps” with:
- Steven G. Bradbury, Partner, Dechert LLP; Former Head of the Office of Legal Counsel, US Department of Justice;
- Elizabeth Goitein, Co-Director, Liberty & National Security Program, Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law;
- Shane Harris, Senior Writer, Foreign Policy; Author, The Watchers: The Rise of America’s Surveillance State (2010);
- Moderated by Stephen Schulhofer, Robert B. McKay Professor of Law, New York University School of Law.
September 24, 2013 - CLS hosted a lunch with The Honorable Jane Harman, Director, President, and CEO of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and former Congresswoman.
October 11, 2013 – CLS hosted Martin Chamberlain and Maya Lester, two of the UK's leading human rights lawyers to discuss “Secrecy and Sanctions: National Security Law in the UK.”
October 24, 2013 – A dinner with President (ret.) Dorit Beinisch, of the Supreme Court of Israel and Dan Meridor, a former Justice Minister and Minister of Intelligence and Atomic Energy in Israel.
November 6, 2013 – A book discussion with Michael Allen, Managing Director of Beacon Global Strategies LLC, former Director of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and author of Blinking Red: Crisis and Compromise in American Intelligence After 9/11.
November 8, 2013 – A discussion with Andrew Weissmann CLS Fellow and General Counsel for the Federal Bureau of Investigation from 2011 to 2013.
November 19, 2013 - CLS held its Fall 2013 CLE Conference "Law and Strategy in an Era of Evolving Threats," featuring two keynote speakers:
- John C. (Chris) Inglis, Deputy Director, National Security Agency
- Lisa Monaco, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism
December 2, 2013 – CLS hosted “Israel, From the Inside Out,” a discussion about politics, society, and economics in Israel today, with:
- Chief Justice (ret.) Dorit Beinisch, Weinstein Family Distinguished Fellow, Center on Law and Security and former Chief Justice of Israel;
- Stanley Fischer, Distinguished Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations and former Governor of the Bank of Israel;
- Professor Moshe Halbertal, Gruss Professor of Law;
- Moderated by Leon Wieseltier, Literary Editor, The New Republic.